Ads 468x60px

Tuesday 29 November 2011

2 in 1: Tofu Open Sandwich & Tofu Bread Rolls

When do you realize that an interest has become a passion?
The answer is when you start creating recipes in your head when you are in a lecture with the professor teaching something really important for the exam! :-D Okay, I'm not so proud of not paying attention in class, but I'm totally proud of what I've managed to create today. :P And rest assured, today will be the last time I day-dream about food. I've got an exam to clear!

Tofu, the Soy Paneer is an excellent source of protein. It is a great substitute for Cottage Cheese | Paneer. So Vegans- watch out for this one. :-D

What I wanted to make- the image in my head was like a kind of fried bread rolls a lá Fried Chicken.. I like the technique & decided to do that. But we ran out of Cornflakes & I didn't exactly want to go out & buy them. SO I tweaked it here & there. I also skipped deep frying for the Shallow Frying one using kuzhi paniyaram pan. It doesn't look too great. But it tastes quite good. You could always include the cornflakes (I'll tell you how) and deep fry it for a party.
I also had some left-over veggies-mix & I didn't have the patience to shallow fry them for so long. SO I popped them into the MW & Lo! An open sandwich! :-D

Ingredients - (makes 4 rolls & 4 open sandwiches)
(Print this recipe)
 
Bread Slices - 8
Tofu - 25 grams (or substitute with cottage cheese/panner)
Tomatoes - 1
Capsicum - 1
Onion - 1
Coriander Leaves - 2 tablespoons
Garlic - 2 cloves, minced
Olive Oil - 1 teaspoon (or regular oil)
Oregano - as required
Chili Flakes - as required
Pepper Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Salt - as required - 2 teaspoons
Cheese - as required
 
Only for the rolls -
Milk - 50 ml
Refined Flour / Cornflour - 1 teaspoon
Cornflakes - a handful, crushed roughly (unfortunately, I didn't have so skipped)

Method -
I. Making the filling
- In a bowl, add the chopped onions, capsicum, tomatoes, garlic & coriander leaves
- Grate or crumble the Tofu & add to the bowl.
- Add the dry spices: Chili Flakes, Oregano, Salt & Pepper Powder
- Drizzle 2 tsp of oil.
- Mix everything together. Well

II. For the Bread rolls
- Mix the flour in milk well & keep aside
- Remove the edges of the bread
- Sprinkle a few drops of water on the bread slice & squeeze it to remove excess water. (helps in rolling the bread) Don't wet too much.
- Spread some tomato sauce
- In the center of the slice, put about 1-2 teaspoons of veggies-mix
- Slowly, work your hands up to form a nice bread ball. Use drops of water where it doesn't stick properly. Be very careful coz the bread is really soft. It can tear any minute!
- Dip the ball in the milk-flour mixture once.
- Then roll the ball in the cornflakes. It gives the crunch we all love! :-) [[I skipped coz I didn't have.]]
- Repeat the 2 stage dipping twice.
- Deep fry until golden brown on all sides.
- Alternative 2: I used the Kuzhi Paniyaram pan to shallow fry the rolls. The result is not so good looking. But I'd rather have an okay-looking healthy dish than a superb-looking junk! :P
- Alternative 3: Give the rolls a butter-wash & bake them in the oven at 180C for 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
Yum Yum!
This is not how I visualized it. The presence of Cornflakes would have done more justice to this dish. But this is quite good too! :-)
II. For the Open Sandwich
- Apply tomato ketchup on the breads.
- Add about 2 teaspoons of the veggies on each bread.
- Grate some cheese on top. (can be skipped too)
- Microwave for 2 minutes & Grill for another 1-2 minutes.
Enjoy! :-)

10 comments:

  1. Whoa, corn flakes? I had no idea about that! Great invention, Chef Kavi ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow incredible sandwich,makes me hungry..Btw do you still interested in hosting Cooking with seeds event?? pls do let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for linking - is a perfect dish for the event :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just reading through the recipe made my mouth water... Awesome innovation!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, this is ingenious! Whatever your professor is teaching, he sure is inspiring :)

    A pity I don't have such a funky pan like you :( and your dumplings are looking awesome, don't worry :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. New one and looks yummy Kavi. Thx for linking to the event.

    Vardhini
    Event: Sinful Delights
    Event: Stuffed Paratha

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow! looks really wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the wonderful entries..looks great!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the feedback! :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...